Update: Mexico’s largest earthquake in the last 100 years
11 September 2017
On Friday 8th September, an 8.1 magnitude earthquake struck 100 miles west of the state of Chaipas in Mexico. With the epicenter being near Pijijiapan, Chiapas which is one of the communities where Compassion works. Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said the earthquake was the strongest earthquake in Mexico in the last century. The earthquake was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala City.
Since the earthquake, there have been numerous aftershocks, several surpassing 5.0 magnitude. Chiapas and Oaxaca have been declared in a state of emergency. Numerous deaths have been reported.
The regional hospital in Juchitán, Oaxaca collapsed, so the government has set up a mobile hospital to take care of the community. Over 1,100 schools are damaged throughout the country and will remain closed until appropriate safety measures can be taken.
There is no ground transportation, electricity and communications are not stable in some of the communities where Compassion works so information will come slowly. As a result, we do not have specific information as of yet on the impact this has had on our Compassion Church partners or Compassion-supported children at this time.
- The field office believes at least 14 Church partners in Juchitán and surrounding areas may be damaged but no details are available yet.
- Nearly 100 Church partners have cancelled activities for the weekend due to the aftershocks. Civil protection authorities have recommended not resuming activities until the buildings are assessed for safety.
- Church partner staff are visiting children and their families to pray with and encourage them and provide other assistance as needed. The RESPOND disaster funds will be used to ensure they are safe, fed and cared for.
Please join us in praying for:
- All the Church partners that may have been affected
- The families of children who may have lost their homes
- Partnership Facilitators and Church staff as they work to account for all registered children and ensure they are well.
We will be updating this page with updates we receive from the field. We will contact you directly if your sponsored child has been impacted.
Photo Credit: AP Photo/ Luis Alberto Cruz